November 19, 2011

Rapunzel's Diary {excerpt}

April 1, 1506

Dear Diary,

Wow! Only five more days until my birthday day. It's going to be so weird to be eighteen. I've always thought of eighteen to be so far off even now being seventeen. Mother says even though I'll be eighteen I will always be her little girl. Mother is so sweet and I don't mind being little for to her.

~

I look down at the small post and think whether I want to add anything more. Mother's call distracts my attention and I forget about writing more.



April 6, 1506

Dear Diary,

Today is my birthday. Well, today was my birthday. It is already 10 o-clock at night and I am tired from all the good times I have been having. Hm...Were to begin?
Today I am eighteen years old. This morning I woke up and had a wonderful breakfast of blueberry pancakes with maple syrup. Mother used up the last of the apples and I had apple juice for breakfast. Mother also gave my a beautiful dress that was blue with cream lace and stitching. I wish I sketch, then I would draw a picture of it. Alas, sketching is not one of my strong suits.
It seems that even the earth knew it was my birthday for it sent a little stray kitten to me. I named her Snowflake because she is very white and seems as delicate as a snowflake. Although she was scared at first, after some milk and warm bread Snowflake is one of the family. Mother isn't very fond of animals but because it was my birthday and because Snowflake was just too cute Mother said she would think about letting me keep her.
I loved birthdays. Mother said I didn't have to do any chores or wash and set up the tower because it was my birthday. Can't you tell I love birthdays? It's a very fun word to write too. Birthday, birthday, birthday, birthday!
I too tired to write any more. But I promise to finish writing about my birthday tomorrow.
*laugh*
Look at me, promising a diary to come back and write in it. How silly I can be sometimes.

~

A yawn escapes my mouth and I lay me head on the back of my reading chair. A reading chair that can also be used as a writing chair as well.



April 9, 1506

Dear Diary,

Sewing is such a bore. Mother said I need to . . . how did she word it?
I need to "learn the skills of proper lady".
I do love Mother so much and I don't wish to disappoint her. But sewing is another things I am dreadful at. Well, I guess it's not sewing but embroidery. I can sew simple things quite well, and when I do that while Mother reads aloud I have quite a good time. But these embroidery patterns Mother is expecting me to finish are horrifying.
Dear Mother, she always knows how to get me to like something. I have been reading a book about a lady who does stuff like sewing and embroidery. I mentioned to Mother how wonderful it would be to just slip through the pages and enter the characters world. Mother had read the book and thought now would be a perfect time to teach me embroidery.
I would not mind "learning the skills of a proper lady", as long as those skills did not included embroidery.
Remember the bunnies I told you about a month ago. Their fur has come in and they are so cute and fluffy! Two of them are brown with white spots, one of them is all white, and the other two are a mix of brown, white, and black. Their mother looks after them and I'm trying to get her to let me hold and pet them.
I do not think Snowflake has a mother. She is too young to be by herself, or so the science books tell me, and she has spent these three days with me. In fact, she is cuddling next to me on my reading chair right now in the living room.
It is time for lunch and I must go.

Later:

Mother said I could keep Snowflake! I am excited I can scarcely breathe. It's so nice being about to lie on my bed with Snowflake curled up next to me and to know that won't change.
I feel like a heroine in a book with her trusted cat companion and ready for the adventure that awaits. And there will be adventure. Mother said I could explore our back woods as long as I didn't travel to far. I hope I get lost. What fun that would be. I can imagine it now, I'll look around and wonder why it got so dark so fast and then I would know. I was lost. I would hear a noise and get so scared. Snowflake would then come walking out of the woods and with her help I would get safely home. Well, that's what I hope will happen, which is much different then what will most likely happen. But even then I can't wait.



Rapunzel's Diary my 2011 NaNoWriMo novel by Lèrowen

No comments: